New Zealand Pastoral Code of Practice
International students are often younger and potentially very vulnerable and settling into New Zealand life can be a lonely, anxious time for some of them. The New Zealand government has developed the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 to make sure that international students are well informed, safe and properly cared for. All education providers that enroll international students must be a signatory to the Code.
The Code makes sure that:
- high professional standards are maintained
- the recruitment and contracting of international students is done ethically and responsibly
- information supplied to students is comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date
- students are provided with information prior to entering into any commitments
- the particular needs of international students are recognised
- students are in safe accommodation
- all providers have fair procedures for resolving student grievances.